The Treasurer's Office is the collection and distribution center for all taxes in Big Horn County. While the vast majority of taxes are paid on or before the due date, a substantial effort is made to collect taxes that go delinquent.
The office also handles the collection and distribution of all non-tax revenue in the County.
Disbursements of cash to cover County obligations is also the responsibility of this office. These disbursements may be to cover bills paid by County warrants or to cover bond payments or remittances to other government agencies for which the County collects taxes.
It is in the public's best interest to have any cash invested. That investment responsibility rests in the Treasurer's Office. The present investment program is constantly being reviewed and improved.
Record-keeping and reporting are also important functions of the office. Tax and license payment records are maintained as well as disbursement records. Additionally, the office is required to keep detailed records of school budgets. Reports from this office go to the State, the City of Hardin, schools, irrigation, and various districts, and to the County Commissioners.
Department of Revenue
For questions about how your property is valued, new construction, or assessment of your property, email Virginia Dooley.
Property Tax Assistance Programs are available for seniors, disabled or deceased veterans, and others. More information about these programs is available on the state's Department of Revenue website.
Department of Motor Vehicles
- Driver's License Exam appointments can be scheduled online or by calling 406-444-1772.
- Exams are given on Tuesdays between 9:30 to 3:30 with a 1-hour lunch.
- Manuals can be picked up at the Treasurer's Office.
- Pay fees
- Cash or Check: at the Treasurer's Office before taking an exam or renewing your license.
- Debit or Credit Card: with your examiner
- REAL ID appointments are not available in Big Horn County at this time.
- More information about REAL IDs in Montana
- Motor Vehicle Renewals are available every day. No appointment is necessary.
- Title work is available daily until 4:30 pm.
- Montana Motor Vehicle Forms.